The controversial goal that was reversed by the officials!
The Minnesota Golden Gopher hockey team had their 10-game unbeaten streak snapped last night by the Minnesota State Mavericks with a goal in the last minute of the game. The Gophers didn’t play particularly well or particularly as hard as we’ve seen them play during their streak. I expect that to change tonight and for last night’s game to be a wake-up call for this team that every game matters and there are no easy games in Division I college hockey and WCHA college hockey especially when being at the top of the conference is at stake! Tonight’s game is in the Verizon Wireless Center in Mankato. Will the Mavericks gain some home-ice advantage with their fans cheering them on in their rink?
Line Chart – Minnesota Golden Gophers
Left Wing – Center – Right Wing
Kyle Rau-7 – Nick Bjugstad-27 - Erik Haula-19
Sam Warning-11 - Nate Condon-16 – Zach Budish-24
Tom Serratore-14 - Travis Boyd-22 - Justin Holl-12
Jake Parenteau-6 - Christian Isackson-26 - Seth Ambroz-17
Left Defenseman – Right Defenseman
Brady Skjei-2 – Nate Schmidt-29
Ben Marshall-10 - Seth Helgeson-4
Mike Reilly-5 – Mark Alt-20
Scratches: G-Matt LaPrade-30, G-Ryan Coyne-31, D-Blake Thompson-3 (Transferred), F-Ryan Reilly-9, F-AJ Michaelson-15, F-Chirstian Horn-18, F-Jared Larson-23
Injured: F-Connor Reilly-21
Line Chart – Minnesota State Mavericks
Left Wing – Center – Right Wing
Chase Grant-21 – Matt Leitner-18 – Johnny McInnis-22
Jean-Paul LaFontaine-12 – Teddy Blueger-23 – Eriah Hayes-25
Brett Knowles-24 – Zach Lehrke-19 – Bryce Gervais-9
Dylan Margonari-26 – Eli Zuck-29 – Max Gaede-8
Left Defenseman – Right Defenseman
Tylor Elbrecht-16 – Josh Nelson-2
Zach Palmquist-7 - Evan Mosey-17
Brett Stern-27 – Jon Jutzi- 28
Scratches/Injured: G-Evan Karambelas-31, D-Nick Buchanon-4, D-Mat Knoll-10, F-Corey Laivermann-11, F-Taylor Herndon-14, F-J.P. Burkemper-15, F-Charlie Thauwald-20
It’s Saturday night and we have a rematch of a WCHA in-state rivalry! It’s a beautiful thing to be in a State of Hockey, physically and mentally!!!
Let’s DROP THE CLUTTERPUCK!!!
- Are those new jerseys for the Mavericks? Those are Nice!
- PENALTIES – Zach Budish & Johnny McInnis for Roughing at 6:34 of the 1st period - A scrum in front of the Gopher net literally as Budish takes McInnis down!
- That’s my Puck, Baby! DON’T YOU EVER TOUCH MY PUCK!!!
- or GOALIE!!!
- NO GOAL! – Justin Holl Unassisted at 12:35 of the 1st period - Justin Holl makes a great play stealing a D-to-D pass and going in on Stephon Williams. He tries to go 5-hole and Williams makes the save, the rebound goes off of Justin Holl’s leg and into the net but the net appears to have come off the moorings before the puck crossed the goal line. The officials called it no goal on the ice and head to a video review. GOAL!!! The officials reverse the goal and the Gophers score the first goal of the game! GOPHERS 1-0!!!
- Last night was the first game this season that the Gophers lost when scoring the first goal of the game!
- How will this one turn out?
- PENALTIES – Brady Skjei & Teddy Blueger for Cross-Checking at 14:37 of the 1st period - More after the whistle pushing & shoving in front of the Gopher net AND more 4-on-4 hockey!
- BIG HIT! – Tom Serratore on Jon Jutzi at 17:00 of the 1st period - A battle in the left corner of the Maverick zone is won by the Mavericks and the puck goes towards the right corner. Jon Jutzi skates to the puck and makes a pass up the right boards, watches his pass and lands on his ASS!!! Tom Serratore hits him high and watches him fly!
- PENALTY – Zach Palmquist for Interference on Nate Schmidt at 17:19 of the 1st period - Nate Schmidt starts the breakout of the Gopher zone coming up the left center of the ice. He passes the puck to Justin Holl on his left and drives to the net. As he gets close to the net, Zach Palmquist takes him down and gets called for interference.
- Controversy! Justin Holl makes a move around Evan Mosey and gets in on Stephon Williams all alone, makes a move around him and for some reason the whistle blows. The Mavericks never touched the puck!
- Inadvertent whistle or what?
- GOAL! (POWER PLAY) – Nate Schmidt from Zach Budish & Kyle Rau at 18:11 of the 1st period - Nate Schmidt gets the puck from a Nick Bjugstad pass at the middle of the blue line and makes move the pull the puck back but Zach Lehrke is right there with a poke check and Schmidt has to get rid of the puck quick passing it through Lehrke’s legs to Bjugstad. Bjugstad was coming towards the center of the zone from the left face-off circle and passes to Erik Haula just off the right half-wall for a one timer that Stephon Williams saves but he leaves a rebound that Kyle Rau whacks at then Zach Budish whacks at it and the puck deflects back up the middle to Nate Schmidt and he one-times it into the upper right corner of the net and its GOPHERS 2-0!!!
- Stephon Willams complains to the ref about something but I can’t imagine what he thinks happened that gave Minnesota an advantage there.
- The only thing I see watching the replay is maybe Budish’s stick interfering with Williams’ glove and that’s where the puck went into the net so he might have an argument.
- Zach Budish takes a couple two-handed chops to his hands and his stick while planting himself in front of the net showing what it takes to get a net front presence!
- PENALTIES – Seth Ambroz, Ben Marshall, Evan Mosey & Teddy Blueger for Roughing at 18:57 of the 1st period - Some more wrestling in front of the Gopher net makes a crowded penalty box for both sides and we stay at 5-on-5 hockey!
- PENALTY – Sam Warning for Elbowing on Brett Stern at 19:42 of the 1st period - Brett Stern coming out of his own zone up the left side passes the puck and gets hit by Sam Warning and Warning gets an elbowing for it.
- Brett Stern is tall and he bent down after releasing the pass.
- Players seem to put themselves in danger to draw a penalty.
- You’re seeing it in all levels of hockey. Since rules have changed regarding checking from behind and boarding, players will turn their backs at the last second knowing they could draw a major penalty that could change the whole hockey game.
- That seems crazy to me to put yourself in a position to get a concussion or worse!
- PENALTY – Mike Reilly for Cross-Checking on Jean-Paul LaFontaine at 13:18 of the 2nd period - Mike Reilly is in front of his own net and trying to move Jean-Paul LaFontaine but he does so with two hands on his stick across the back of him and he gets to sit and think about what he did!
- Do we need a penalty box in everyday life situations? On the highway? At work? For officials too?
- PENALTY – Eriah Hayes for Boarding on Tom Serratore at 8:44 of the 3rd period - Tom Serratore is against the boards in his own zone and Eriah Hayes hits him from behind. Serratore hits the boards hard and goes down and the officials try to figure out what to call.
- Not sure why that’s not checking from behind. Should it be a major? Not sure but it’s close.
- Before Eriah Hayes took the penalty, he was knocked to the ice by Seth Helgeson and that probably should’ve been called for interference.
- GOAL! (POWER PLAY) – Zach Budish from Erik Haula at 9:46 of the 3rd period - Erik Haula gets the puck at the right half-wall and has time to survey the ice to see where he wants to put the puck. Zach Budish is at the top of the slot waiting. Haula plays with the puck until Brett Knowles gets close enough for Haula to send a backhand sauce pass to Budish for a catch and shoot shot to the lower left of the net past Stephon Williams who was partially screened when Brett Stern rotates out to Budish.
- Nice play by Haula to bait Knowles into coming to get him.
- Knowles doesn’t need to go get him there. Just stay in the passing lanes and keep good position. By committing to Haula, he forced everyone else to change their position on the kill.
- GOAL! – Zach Lehrke from Bryce Gervais and Jean-Paul LaFontaine at 12:59 of the 3rd period - The Mavericks break out of their zone with a pass to Jean-Paul LaFontaine at the left of the blue line. LaFontaine makes a pass to Bryce Gervais going up the middle of the neutral zone that Ben Marshall misses with a poke check attempt so Gervais gets a step on him and tries to get to the net. For some reason, Seth Helgeson also turns and chases Gervais instead of covering the trailing forward Zach Lehrke so Gervais takes a shot that rebounds off of Adam Wilcox right to Lehrke who shoots it into the net and the Mavericks are on the board! MAVERICKS 1-3!!!
- Seth Helgeson is not good in panic situations. Trust your defensive partner every now and then and most of the time. That’s better than trying to help him out and leaving someone wide open for a rebound. DO YOUR JOB!!!
- Zach Budish didn’t help out on the back check by coasting and watching Lehrke go to the net uncovered either!
- He wouldn’t have anyone to cover if Helgeson covers the guy he should though!
- I wonder what it’s like in the film room watching these kinds of plays.
- GOAL! – Johnny McInnis from Matt Leitner & Chase Grant at 13:26 of the 3rd period - Matt Leitner curls around the right corner, skates towards the blue line and decides to take a shot on net. Chase Grant gets his stick on it but might’ve been too high. The puck goes toward the net where Johnny McInnis appears to punch it into the net or at least deflect it with his glove. The goal is under review!
- Make that NO GOAL!!! Video highlights of this play is at the top of the post!
- Johnny McInnis punched the puck into the net. Was it done on purpose? Does it matter? Can you deflect the puck into the net off of your glove?
- The puck can deflect off any part of you but you can’t deflect it into the net on purpose unless its with your stick or your skate.
- McInnis is in the crease but he’s not keeping Adam Wilcox from having an attempt to make a save on the shot.
- That won’t keep it from being a goal! No harm, no foul!
- Should it be high-sticking the puck off the tip from Chase Grant?
- Mavericks take a chance and pull the goalie with 3:46 left in the 3rd period down by 2 goals!
- GOAL! (EMPTY-NETTER) – Erik Haula from Kyle Rau at 16:28 of the 3rd period - The Gophers get the puck out of the zone and it goes down the left boards into the Maverick zone and Kyle Rau gets there to block the clearing attempt, gets possession and passes it up to Erik Haula, who had skated in the zone alongside him and when he saw Rau get possession, he went to the net, and Haula shoots it into the empty net for a 3-goal lead! GOPHERS 4-1!!!
- PENALTY – Bryce Gervais for Boarding on Ben Marshall at 18:08 of the 3rd period - Bryce Gervais goes in on the forecheck and hits Ben Marshall up high and from behind and the official calls him for boarding.
That’s another win for Gopher hockey! The Gophers came out with a little more battle and wanted to make up for losing last night and are now one point behind St. Cloud State for the WCHA conference lead! If the Gophers play like they want to win, they can beat any team on any night! No letdowns the rest of the season!
Gopher Hockey Recap from GopherSports.com - Gopher
Gopher Hockey Box Score from GopherSports.com - Minnes
Gopher Hockey Recap from MSUMavericks.com - Maveri
In other WCHA College Hockey action tonight,
Nebraska-Omaha won @ Bemidji State 2-1 – Minnesota Wild 2011 5th-round pick Nick Seeler apparently had a Head-Butting Major & a Game Misconduct for Nebraska-Omaha in this game!
St. Cloud State tied North Dakota 2-2 in OT
Wisconsin won vs Alaska-Anchorage 2-1
Minnesota-Duluth won vs the US Under-18 Team 3-1 in Exhibition
In other College Hockey action,
Notre Dame won vs Ferris State 5-2 – Minnesota Wild 2011 2nd-round pick Mario Lucia had a goal & 2 assists for Notre Dame
Niagara won vs RIT 6-4 – Minnesota Wild 2009 7th-round pick Anthony Hamburg had an assist on RIT’s 3rd goal
Penn State won @ Michigan State 3-2 – Former Gopher Max Gardiner had 2 assists for Penn State
You’ve Been ClutterPUCKED!!!